Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer plans.

The weather has already grown hot in our little corner of California, and the kids are growing restless. Summer is almost here and we can taste it.

Miss C.'s Kindergarten class has been counting the days left until the most important day of all: the last day of school. Each day, she eagerly reports on how many days are left: "Mommy, there are only 19 days left of school. Soon there will only be three... then two... then one!"

She's not the only one around here who can't wait for summer vacation to start. This mama is eagerly anticipating having her girl home for three whole months. I miss having her around all day long, and often wish we had more time together. By the time she's finished with school and homework, it's time for dinner... then bath, stories and bed. There simply isn't much time for fun during the week.

Last Saturday morning, Miss C. and I laid around in her bed and daydreamed about what we are going to do together this summer. We didn't want to forget anything, so we made a list. I loved listening to her ideas and watching her write everything down.

Would you like to know what she has planned?

Miss C.'s Summer List:
  • Make popsicles
  • Go to the library
  • Play dates
  • Bounce place (this in one of those indoor play places that are perfect for hot summer afternoons)
  • Play in the sprinklers
  • Go to the park
  • Play games
  • Sew a pillowcase (our first sewing project together!)
  • Art projects
  • Make cookies
  • Learn to roller skate 
  • Blow bubbles
  • Make cinnamon toast
  • Read chapter books
This is going to be a wonderful summer. I think what I like most about her list is that it's filled with simple things. We're not going to over-schedule ourselves or rush around "doing things". We're just going to have fun.

Have you started dreaming up summertime plans too? I'd love to hear them!

14 comments:

  1. Her list is precious!!! I'm going to have to have my kids make summer lists too... I love this, just wonderful! We are simplifying this summer for sure. Keeping swim lessons but no T-ball. I think I already know what will be on the top of Snoopy's list... FISHING! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to do a post on your lists! I live that you guys are slowing down this summer, too. Lots of fishing and swim lessons (I forgot to add those to our list) sound perfect!

      Delete
  2. Oh I LOVE this. How darling! And what a great idea to have her come up with the list herself! I'm going to have my kiddo do that as well.

    I'm so excited about summer too. Thank you for kickstarting me right into it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must post your sweetie's list!!! I love reading what kids come up with for stuff like this! xoxo

      Delete
  3. That is so gorgeous! Her writing is amazing - sounds like you'll have a wonderful summer :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at her writing. I'm constantly amazed that my little girl, who could barely write her name at the beginning of the year, is now reading and writing every day! I did have to help her sound out the big words, but she did the rest herself. :)

      Delete
  4. It sounds like the summers my daughter and I used to have at our cottage on a lake. Now that she is much older, the memories of those summers are almost as precious as those times were for us. Enjoy and have a fantastic time with Miss C and your other children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like such a wonderful mother, Elizabeth. I'm betting your daughter has equally fond memories of those times with you. :) I can only hope my own children have such sweet memories when they are grown. xoxo

      Delete
  5. So adorable!! Before even reading Melissa and Robyn's comments I thought I have got to do this with my girls!! It would be a great writing activity for Rainy! I do think Lilac will probably pick some extravagant unrealistic things as a few of her items, hopefully we'll be able to pull some of them off. I'll have to do it with each girl separately so they don't influence one another! OH! I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! And please do a post with Robyn with your kids' lists. I want to see what they come up with! Maybe they'll have some ideas that Miss C. will want to add to her own list. :)

      Delete
  6. Your list is golden! Yes we also need to make popsicles, go to a sprinkler park, blow bubbles and make cinnamon toast. I don't think my kids have ever had that kind of toast. What's with that?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, my kids have never had it either! I remember it being a staple around my house growing up. I had no idea that she even knew what it was – that was something she came up with all on her own. I was completely surprised when she suggested it, but 100% on board. :)

      Delete
  7. Awwwww....Love this!!! I can't wait to share in many of these activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be a lot of fun. We're looking forward to hanging with you and your girls this summer! :)

      Delete