Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Thomas treasure bag

At 3 1/2 years old, Master W. is just now getting to the age of wanting to save his treasures.

Super balls.

Shiny rocks.

Special cars.

Random found objects from the yard.

And other important things.

Unfortunately, he has no place to put said treasures, so they're often found littered about the house or lost under the bed.

Cue a massive internet hunt for treasure bag ideas... and one very frustrated mama. Most of the tutorials I came across involved making a messenger bag, which is great but I can't really see my guy as the messenger bag type (at least not at this age).

Finally, I realized that a simple zippered box bag would do the trick. I had a good-sized scrap of Thomas the Tank Engine fabric on hand from a prize pack that I won from Treading on Lego's SMS giveaway and was looking forward to getting started...

... when my sweet Miss C. decided to start the project (with scissors) while I wasn't looking. And now I have three much smaller scraps of Thomas fabric.

Oh, well. 

A mama must press on. 

So, I hopped onto Etsy and picked up a 1/2 yard of a newer Thomas print over at Blue Ridge Fabrics. This print is even better than the last one because it features his favorite train: Gordon. 

The fabric arrived earlier this week and after being safely stowed away from scissor-happy fingers I was able to turn it into this fully-lined boxy treasure bag using a tutorial I found over at Pretty Modern. I ended up quilting the outer shell, and added zipper tabs and a handle, but otherwise followed the tutorial to the letter. It's a good one, by the way!

I surprised him with it after nap time yesterday and the first words out of his mouth were a whispered, "Fank you, Mommy. I wuv it." He sure knows how to melt his mama's heart.

4 comments:

  1. Perfect for Master W! I think kids can't have enough bags and secret spaces to store all of their treasures! love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I can't believe I forgot to respond to you both!

      I completely agree with you, Robyn. I love seeing what he stores inside his treasure bag. A child's view of what constitutes a "treasure" is just so sweet and simple.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story and happy ending. Ok, now let's see if he actually keeps his treasures in the bag. Funny story - my son has a literal small treasure box... but somehow his coins and special things still are most often on the floor. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I was just sweeping Master W.'s rocks and things back into his treasure bag today. At least he's enjoying them, right? LOL

      Delete