Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Another zippy gift.

Friday marks the last day of school and the official start of SUMMER VACATION!!! And yes, any discussion about SUMMER VACATION!!! must always be accompanied by dancing and shouting and extreme excitement.

Or is that just at my house?

Anyway, it's the end of the school year and time to squeeze in one last sewing project for Miss C.'s Kindergarten teacher: a zippy pouch.

We love Mrs. S. Not only did she teach our little Kindergartner how to read, write and do basic math, but she also helped her gain a better sense of how to be a good Christian Citizen. And, she's kind and patient with Master W. whenever we visit the classroom.

I chose fabrics very similar to the ones I used for her teacher's Christmas gift, knowing that she liked the color choices. This time, though, I didn't rely so heavily on Vintage Modern and took some tiny risks with color and pattern when selecting scraps to add to the mix. I was a little unsure of the pink at first, but I think it works well with the other colors.
I did make one little mistake... I placed the back panel upside down! The only way you can tell is that the birds are upside down in one of the prints. It was waaaay too late to go back by the time I noticed it. Oh well!

I love making teacher gifts, and I can't wait to do it again next year. Do you make your children's teacher gifts? I'd love to hear your ideas!


4 comments:

  1. The pink looks great! Such a practical and thoughtful gift. I didn't manage a homemade gift for the end of the year but we did give Dax's teacher a homemade library bag full of books for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! I'm glad you like the pink. I wondered about it at first, but decided to go for it as a small way if pushing myself. Color choices dont't always come easily to me, though i think I'm getting better.

      I think you can excuse yourself from sewing up gifts when you are pregnant. It's definitely okay to be too tired to do anything extra... Or just about anything else for that matter. LOL

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lucky Miss C's teacher! Hurray for summer!!! Enjoy the holidays with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're looking forward to a (hopefully) low-key summer. xoxo

      Delete