Thursday, July 11, 2013

For the boss baby.

Hubby's boss is pregnant with her first baby and due in the next month or so. I know I promised myself I wouldn't start any more quilts until I'd finished Master W.'s bed quilt...

But when it comes to babies, I just can't help myself.
This scrappy patchwork quilt was easy and fun to whip up. Baby is going to be a girl – cue the massive amounts of pink – so I dug through my overflowing pink scrap bag, as well as my pink fabric stack to get started. After grabbing any and all pink fabric I could find (including some lovely scraps I won from the super generous Sew Wonderful Life), I snagged some pretty aqua and green scraps to round things out. Then I spied a sad little bag of Kona White scraps, left over from my postage stamp quilt. Most pieces were too small to do much with, but I wondered if some splashes of white throughout the quilt might add some visual interest.

I know there are many shortcuts out there for making patchwork blocks, but I'm one of those oddball quilters who actually likes organizing and sewing up each and every square. So, the following night I gleefully headed over to the cutting table, where I cut everything into 2.5" squares and organized the neat little stacks of squares by print.

Another evening was then spent laying out my quilt top. My only rules were that no single print should end up next to its twin, and that there would be at least one white square in each 9-patch block.

A few nights later, the top was done and I was left pondering the back. I could have gone out and purchased some fabric for the back, but I liked the challenge of finding a way to make the entire quilt from stash (I even pieced two pieces of batting together for this quilt). What you see are several large leftover pieces from stash, as well as several lovely vintage sheet pieces that I won in the most recent Sew Mama Sew giveaway from the wonderful Carpe Lanam. Aren't they pretty?

I quilted it up with some wavy lines, bound it with some more scraps and ran it through the wash to get that squishy, crinkly effect. The result: a soft little quilt, perfect for baby push-ups!

And I must say that I love that my little helper is finally big enough to hold up quilts! I love seeing her sweet little face peeking out from behind the top of the quilt!

6 comments:

  1. How pretty! That looks like a very satisfying experience. Baby quilts are so fun.. I imagine especially so when you have such a cute baby for photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! You're right - it was a very satisfying quilt to make. I have a thing for working with scraps, and it always feels good to see a scrappy quilt come together and having everything "work". And, yes, she does make the photography element that much more fun! xoxo

      Delete
  2. It's perfect! Such a sweet quilt for a baby girl. I'm happy to see the vintage sheet fq's are being put to good use. And your model is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! I'm so glad you like how I used the vintage FQs. As to my model, well... I think she's pretty darned adorable too! Then again, I'm quite biased! :)

      Delete
  3. I adore simple patchwork and I love the pieced back. Your models/assistants are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! Sometimes the simplest quilts are my favorites! :)

      Delete