Saturday, August 3, 2013

We made a pillowcase together.

Actually, Miss C. made it. I just supervised.

My sweetie picked out the fabric, ironed, pinned, cut and sewed until she had a finished pillowcase. I was there to guide her through the process and do the serging (moving knives and six-year-olds don't mix), but she truly did it all herself.

The first day of sewing was done at my table with the foot petal propped up on a small step stool. That worked well enough, but I quickly realized that she couldn't see the needle too well so the following day we set my machine up at our kid-sized table. VoilĂ ! Guiding the fabric under the needle was much easier for her this way.

We used a simple pillowcase tutorial from Made, but did have to make a few changes due to mama-error. I quickly discovered that we didn't have enough fabric since she chose that cute kitty directional print and I forgot to add yardage. Oops! We ended up making the cuff about twice as wide as the pattern called for to compensate for the loss in yardage. In the end, I think it worked out just fine and I'm glad we took the extra time to do it right.

I loved seeing the look on her face when we slipped it over her pillow. She was bursting with pride at doing it all herself and has been dragging it around the house ever since. I can't even begin to describe the emotions I felt when she finished it. I'm simply amazed by the wonderful girl my daughter is becoming. And there's something so special – almost vital, even – about passing a true skill on to the next generation the way my mother and grandmother did to me.
I'm thinking we'll have to make this mother-daughter sewing session a summer tradition in the coming years.

Do you sew with your kids? I'd love to see what you've made together!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle. Your daughter did a fantastic job. It looks really cute. I am so happy to see her taking an interest in sewing. And it is so wonderful when the next generation gets a love for it. I started sewing when I was around 5 years old and have loved it every since. So did my sisters. But the weird thing is none of our daughters sew at all. Go figure. Have a great weekend and give the little ones a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I love that you started sewing when you were a young girl, too. I think I was about 8 years old when I made my first project with my mom. It was so wonderful actually sewing with her for the first time. She's kept me company before, but this was a first for us. It's too bad you and your sisters' daughters never took up sewing. It's never too late, though. Maybe someday they'll take an interest... you never know!

      Delete
  2. Oh, she is such a cuuuuute six. Congrats mom and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I do think she's a cutie pie. :)

      Delete
  3. What a great looking pillowcase! I've never tried making them at all...I probably should! She picked such fun fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it - they're super easy! I love the fabrics she chose, too. What little girl doesn't love kitties, right?

      Delete
  4. Great Job Miss C!!! I love it! Bibs decided that he wanted to make a quilt for his new baby brother. We will finish sewing the last strip today (I MUST TAKE A PHOTO) though I think we might still add a border. He's had so much fun doing this project. I feel the same way as you do about passing on such a skill to the next generation. It's very satisfying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most definitely must send me a photo! I can't wait to see how it turns out. I think it's neat that he chose to make something for his baby brother rather than for himself. Children have the most generous of hearts.

      Delete