Friday, September 27, 2013

Apple picking.

Today I watched my kids run through an apple orchard.

I relished the sounds of their laughter, the soft grass crunching underfoot, and the gentle rustling of the leaves on the apple trees. I could smell the spicy scent of apple pies baking in the ovens of the bakeshop just down the hill from where we stood. And there wasn't another soul in sight. Just our little group of friends gathering apples in our buckets.
It wasn't until I got home that I realized just how much I miss rural life. I've been away too long. How I wish I could snap my fingers and transport my little family to life in the country and experience that sense of freedom once again.

These are the days that I keep close in my heart. I have a feeling I'll be dreaming about that little wish for good long while. And maybe someday we'll find a way to make that dream come true.

8 comments:

  1. You need to come be my neighbor Michelle :) you would love it here! Glad you got to enjoy the country for a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! I so wish I could be your neighbor, Robyn. We'd have so much fun hanging out together! And I know I'd love living out in the country again.

      Delete
  2. It's days like that that really matter in life. Being able to appreciate those kind of simple things in life is what makes all the difference. What a wonderful day for you and our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. Most of the day-to-day "stuff" tends to run together. But days like this make for the best memories.

      Delete
  3. You make me want to go apple picking too!!!! What a lovely event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You simply must go! It was so fun and made for some lovely memories. I highly recommend it! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! It really sums up the beauty of the day for me. xoxo

      Delete