Monday, September 30, 2013

September finish.

Back at the beginning of the month, I let it slip in my goal post for A Lovely Year of Finishes, hosted by Fiber of All Sorts and Sew Bitter Sweet Designs, that I was considering making a push to finish Master W.'s quilt in time for his fourth birthday at the end of October. To be honest, with all those blocks to quilt I just wasn't sure I could do it.

But then Lucy left me the perfect encouraging note in the comments and it gave me the motivation I needed to challenge myself to finish it in time for the big day.
So, instead of just reaching my goal of getting 3/4 of the top finish (quilting and assembly included), I managed to finish the top, choose and order the backing and binding, and pin-baste the quilt sandwich!

Don't you just love this backing fabric? It's Out N' About Green Highway Signs by Caleb Gray. I knew as soon as I spotted it at Fat Quarter Shop that I'd found the perfect complement to my traffic cone blocks.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! What a perfect boy quilt! And the back couldn't work better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie! Every time I show it to him he asks if we can put it on his bed, so I know he's excited about it. Hooray! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so excited about how it's turning out! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I love your traffic cone quilt!! Did you ever post about your method for attaching the quilted blocks before adding the backing? There are many methods for QAYG and I'm hoping to try one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I ended up doing was quilting each block individually onto batting. Then I trimmed the excess batting from each block and simply stitched the individually quilted blocks together into a quilt top. To pull it all together, I simply quilted the top to the backing by stitched in the ditch along all of the major seams. I hope that helps!

      Delete