Monday, October 28, 2013

Master W.'s quilt (a.k.a. The Traffic Cone Quilt)

We celebrated a birthday at our house this weekend. Master W. is now a big 4-year-old boy. 

We had a family party at our house, complete with chocolate cake and enough new trains, Legos and cars to keep the Master busy for quite some time. 

Mommy's gift was tucked behind the rest, folded up neatly and ready for snuggling. The Traffic Cone Quilt was finally finished and ready for its new home on Master W.'s bed. My little guy loves to hide under blankets and quilts, often dragging them around the house with his head covered and a small set of eyes peeping out. This little guy was made for quilts.

After all the gifts had been opened, the cake had been eaten and the kids were building a new Lego set with their uncles, I snuck off to the back of the house to put Master W.'s new quilt on his bed.

As I smoothed it out over the bed, I thought about all of the love that went into the making of this quilt. I spent hours – months, in fact – carefully choosing fabric, designing the block, cutting and assembling all 72 blocks (freezer paper piecing), quilting and then finishing the binding by hand. To finally see it laying on his bed – finished – was incredible. 

And then watching his face light up at bedtime when he was finally able to snuggle up underneath it... that, my friends, was amazing

I'm linking this quilt up in a few places today: 
Quilt details:
  • Hand-designed the traffic cone block
  • Freezer paper pieced all 72 blocks
  • Used the quilt as you go method (QAYG) to quilt each block before assembling the top
  • Stitched in the ditch to quilt the back to the top
  • Hand-finished the binding
  • Finished size is for a twin bed (72" x 90")
The fabrics I used for the traffic cones:
  • Timeless Treasures Blue Mod Cars
  • Sweet on NYC White Taxi Cabs
  • City Streets Olive Busy Downtown
  • City Streets Orange Tossed Wind-Up Cars
  • Michael Miller White Dig It
  • Ten Little Things Orange Trucks
  • City Centre Light Blue City Grid
  • City Centre Red Stacked Cars
  • Cone Zone Green Construction Zone
The fabrics I used for the background, backing and binding:
  • Kona Steel
  • Out N' About Green Highway Signs by Caleb Gray (see below)
  • Timeless Treasures Sketch in Cherry


36 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, and the quilt is gorgeous to boot!
    good luck in the festival!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Esther! I'm thinking that I should have one or two printed and framed for my quilting space. They really make me happy. :)

      Delete
  2. That is such a fun quilt and especially how happy it made a special little boy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clara! It was a lot of fun to make and I love how it makes him so happy. :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely pics and the quilt turned out great! One lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! He's my special little guy – I'm certainly one lucky mama. :)

      Delete
  4. the picture of him sitting at the window is priceless! Enjoy - they grow up fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! I'm so in love with these photos. They will make for some great memories.

      Delete
  5. Great work and awesome fabric choices! Great shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work and how you tell it. So emotive, so inspiring... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! Thank you for your sweet comment. :)

      Delete
  7. Best little boy quilt ever! I just love it. My daughter babysits a construction-site-obsessed little guy. Last year for Christmas his dad found an engineering supply store and bought him his own set of cones, caution tape, a flashing amber light and a hard hat. He sets up sites on their driveway and front lawn every weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is AWESOME! I'm betting my guy would love to have his own flashing light and cones. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your sweet comment about my quilt. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful quilt, Michelle and so is your little boy. I loved seeing all the pictures. A big hug and a HAPPRY BIRTHDAY from me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out AMAZING Michelle!!! Beyond Amazing. He will treasure it forever. Best kind of gift. And those pictures are enough to make me melt. so sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Robyn! You are just so sweet. I'll have to email you some of the other photos I took. He looks so happy in the quilt. It's going to be one of those perfect memories that I'll always treasure. xoxo

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! A special quilt for a lovely boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I love your comment... it reminds me of something he used to say to me right before naptime: "Mommy, you're my special friend." He sure is my special friend and I'm just so happy that I could make this gift for him. xoxo

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! Love the fabrics you chose, that backing is awesome! The photos are incredible and having made quilts for my kids I totally know that feeling of satisfaction when they snuggle under them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love it! Thank you for your sweet words. :) You are so right – it really is the best feeling! xoxo

      Delete
  12. Such a fun quilt for a little guy. the fabrics are all so great. I totally know that feeling of seeing the quilt you made and the little guy's bed. It makes me happy when I see my nephews snuggle under the quilts I made them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carolyn. Little ones are just so sweet. They really do make us feel like superheroes, don't they? :)

      Delete
  13. This is a great quilt idea for a construction loving kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! He does love all things transportation and construction, so it was so fun to make a quilt that would appeal to the things he really loves.

      Delete
  14. Happy day to your 4 yr old big boy!!!! And what a beauty you've created!! so amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These photos of your son all wrapped in his new quilt are sooooo very sweet! My 5 yr old son's face lights up with whatever I make him is the best REWARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Sara, for your sweet comment. I love how he looks in it. And that look really is the best isn't it? It never, ever gets old. :)

      Delete
  16. This is one of the best little boy quilts I've seen in a long time and the fabric choices are perfect! Love it! You can really tell he loves his new quilt!

    Kim @ TiesThatBindQuilting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Kim!! He really loves it and just looks so sweet snuggled up in it every night. :)

      Delete
  17. this is a fantastic quilt! the traffic cone block you designed is great! isn't it just the best feeling ever to make something for you child, who absolutely adores what you made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the block too! Making things for our children really is the best. Their love of our handmade gifts is such a wonderful reward. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. It is absolutely fantastic! Very nice work. You have very good reason to be proud of that quilt!

    ReplyDelete