Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 in review

I've been reading quilting and sewing blogs for a good six or seven years now, and every year I find myself blown away by what all of you ladies can accomplish in a single year. Your year-end wrap-up posts are filled with beautifully handmade quilts, bags, and pillows all nicely arranged in photo mosaics.

And every year I think, "Wow! There's no way I could finish that many projects in single year! How in the heck do they do it?"

So this week I was going through my old posts looking for my big finishes for my A Lovely Year of Finishes wrap-up post when I realized that I'd actually made quite a few things outside of that monthly goal.

Hmmmm... maybe it's time for a little photo mosaic magic of my own! I've broken my 2013 finishes down into a few categories:

Quilts
These are by far my favorite finishes. Starting from the left and working clockwise you'll see my postage stamp quilt, the String Fever quilt that I made for my special friend and her new baby, Master W.'s traffic cone quilt and the Boss Baby Quilt.

I'm just going to come out and say that I'm really, really proud of myself. Each of these quilts helped me stretch my skills in different ways. I learned spiral quilting with the postage stamp quilt, gave in to color and improv piecing in the String Fever Quilt, learned to make a quilt block pattern and freezer-paper piece with Master W.'s quilt and tried my hand at a pieced back on the Boss Baby Quilt.

Looking at these beauties makes me want to start a few more quilts right now!


Zippy Pouches
I think it's safe to say that the zippy pouch was my go-to gift in 2013. I ended up making one for my mom, Miss C.'s Kindergarten teacher for an end-of-the-year gift, a friend who was celebrating a birthday and Miss C.'s 1st Grade teacher for a Christmas gift






Sewing for Kids
Clearly, I love sewing for kids! Miss C. attended a number of birthday parties this year and I managed to make something special for each child. There are also a few other goodies for my own little ones, including a pillowcase that Miss C. made all by herself (with my supervision).
  1. Sweet little apron for a birthday girl
  2. Scrappy artist tote for a birthday girl
  3. Library tote for a first birthday gift
  4. Scrappy headbands for a birthday girl
  5. Scrappy headbands for Miss C.
  6. Big girl messenger bag
  7. Cargo shorts to boy bag
  8. Thomas treasure bag
  9. Miss C.'s pillowcase
And you know what? By the time I finished wrapping up my thoughts for this post I realized that I completely forgot to blog about all of the goodies I made for family this past Christmas (I'm saving those for another post). So there's more – eep!

I'm completely blown away that I finished every single one of these projects this year. It makes me wonder what 2014 has in store for me. I have a feeling it's going to be another awesome year of finishes.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Looking at everything I was able to accomplish last year makes me excited to see what will unfold in 2014. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this post! It makes me happy happy happy to see so much talent being put to good use> You are wonderful- xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Robyn! You are just so sweet! I have big plans for my sewing machine in the next few months. It should be fun! xoxo

      Delete