Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A ghostly patch for jeans

Last week I discovered that Miss C.'s only pair of jeans had a whole in the knee. Since she attends Catholic school and wears a uniform five days a week – and loves to wear dresses on her off days – we don't have much need for several pairs of jeans. So something had to be done to make those jeans last a bit longer.

I ran out to JoAnn hoping to find some sort of fun little patch to iron or sew on. No dice. It was either denim or a crazy-bright color assortment.

I picked up the denim, figuring I could cut it into a heart shape or something. I was looking around the house for a heart shape to trace when inspiration hit. I headed to the kitchen and grabbed the box of cookie cutters. But in my search for a heart cutter, I stumbled upon something even better!

Look at that sweet little ghost! Miss C. loves all things Halloween, but has a special love for "ghostes".
Want to make your own custom patch? It's easy!
  1. Pick up some iron-on denim patches from your local craft store.
  2. Trace the shape you want onto the front of the patch. I used a cookie cutter.
  3. Cut out any extra features if space allows. I cut out some eyes and a mouth.
  4. Iron onto your jeans using the manufacturer's instructions, making sure any cut-outs are well above or below the hole in your jeans.
  5. Surprise your kiddo and enjoy the ensuing happy dance.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Danzel! She really loves it. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love it!!! Dax is in desperate need of this remedy, its been on the to do list....

    ReplyDelete
  3. never in all my days have i seen a ghost patch! you are sooooooo endlessly creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do this too!!!! I bet Julia would love a custom patch! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love this! And my daughter will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guarantee it will make her smile! :)

      Delete
  5. This was so clever! It turned out really adorable, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Just the other day she came home from school with a picture that she'd drawn of herself. And wouldn't you know it, there on the picture was a little ghost on her pants!

      Delete