Wednesday, January 29, 2014

All packed up and ready to go.

I recently stumbled upon a recipe for happiness and thought I'd share...

Ingredients:
1 sweet little girl
1 mama-made messenger bag
1 mama-made zippy pouch
Pencils
Erasers
Paper
Notebooks
Stuffed animal friends

Directions:
Mix well, sit back and feel your heart swell as you watch your little girl tote her special things everywhere.

It's been about two weeks since I finished Miss C.'s messenger bag (construction details can be found in my earlier post) and I still love watching her carry it around. I loved the look on her face when I finally gave it to her - she positively lit up. And then she whispered, "I love it." And told me again and again later that day, squeezing my heart the way she is apt to do when I least expect it.
I sure wish I could bottle that feeling so I could save it for those moments when maybe I'm a little down on myself. For not fixing meals with more vegetables. For being too fixated on things I have no control over. For not cleaning my house often (or well) enough. For getting frustrated with my sweeties. You know, for not being Perfect Mommy.

Do you have those days too? I'm thinking I need to distance myself from Perfect Mommy. She's nice and all, but I'm better off just being Mommy. And when I forget and try too hard to be Perfect Mommy (because she's all glittery and perfect and tempting, right?), I'm going to take out this memory as a reminder that my little girl loves me. Just the way I am. 

And just being Mommy is good enough for me.
You can find this post linked up at:












Special thanks to Fabric Fusion and Rita of Red Pepper Quilts for the Hello Tokyo by Robert Kaufman fat quarter bundle that I won not too long ago in a most generous giveaway. Normally I love making things from my scraps, but this collection was destined for Miss C. It was a joy to work with and made the perfect big girl messenger bag for my sweetheart!

16 comments:

  1. Oh so sweet! What a lucky girl to receive such an adorable messenger bag and zippy pouch. Perfect use for this fabric bundle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita for making this lovely bag possible! I'm sure another version would have been cute, too, but man I really love how it turned out! xoxo

      Delete
  2. this. is. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh the fabric!!! oh the potential for fun with a bag like this! wow, Michelle. I wish I could buy something like this!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I KNEW you'd love this fabric! I still have some left over. Can I make something special for you? A zippy pouch? xoxo

      Delete
  3. That is the cutest thing I have ever seen, Michelle. I want to buy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica!!!! I wish I had it in me to re-open my Etsy shop. Someday I'll have the energy again, right? Hahaha !

      Delete
  4. Very well said Michelle. And those sweet little daughters can still pull those heart strings when they are all grown up, and "mommy" has had many years of not being "perfect mommy". Just wait and see!

    Your bags are absolutely beautiful. Do sell on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! You know, I used to sell on Etsy but I never felt I could sell my things for what my time was truly worth. And now with three kids running around I find I only have the energy (and desire) for personal projects. I suppose I could do a project here or there on commission if the right opportunity came up. Anyway, I'm so glad you like it! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love your bag, and also love the thrill that I get when I make something that my kids really love.

    PS. There's no such thing as a perfect mum, only the best we can manage, and you sound like you're doing just that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! You are so right - that's definitely something I try to remind myself of every once in a while! :)

      Delete
  6. This bag is too cute! I love that fabric! Pinning!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are AMAZING! That bag is AMAZING! I love it so so so so so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Robyn!!! Thank you!!! xoxo

      Delete
  8. OMG, why have I missed so many of your posts?! Your projects are so amazing, and I love this bag and pouch. I hear you on the parenting, we all can be too hard on ourselves at times, best not to compare ourselves to anyone, especially not Perfect Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaawww, thank you for the sweet compliment. :) I'm glad you like it!

      Delete