Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cozy Up: 'Don't Need Friends'

It's been a while since I last shared one of my favorite reads, but I've been saving a good one for you.
'Don't Need Friends', by Carolyn Crimi, is the story about Rat. As you might imagine, Rat lives in a junkyard with an assortment of other animals.

All is right in Rat's world until one day his best friend, Possum, moves away. Poor Rat is heartbroken and pushes everyone else away, telling himself, "Don't need friends. Don't need 'em at all."

Not too long afterward big, grouchy Dog moves into the junkyard and Rat tries his best to remember his mantra...

Well, I'll let you guess the rest.

There's something so special about this story of unexpected friendship. Maybe it's the unexpected junkyard setting or the grouchy characters. Or maybe it's the way it teaches children (and adults!) that friendship is much more important than dwelling on the things that make us sad.

I guess all those reasons aren't really too important. All I know is that we love it. Who knows, maybe you'll love it too.


6 comments:

  1. Aww, that sounds so sweet! May check the library website for this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, I promise! I think there's something so endearing about a couple of grouchy junkyard animals becoming best friends. xoxo

      Delete
  2. A heart warming story read while cuddled up in your beautiful postage stamp quilt. Could life be better for any little person (or big person for that matter!)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I thank God every day for my wonderful children and for the opportunity to be at home with them. I am so very blessed. xoxo

      Delete
  3. sounds just delightful! cant wait to find a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one. Honestly, it's one of my favorites. I hope I'm not building it up too much... it's just a sweet story. I think it's the characters and junkyard setting that got me.

      Delete