Friday, January 31, 2014

I'm starting early so I'll actually finish on time.

That's theory anyway.
See that Santa print in there? That's a vintage flannel remnant my mom gifted to me a few years back. She'd been holding on to it in her cedar chest for years and years, having originally used it to back the family Christmas tree skirt. Somehow she knew it was my favorite (seriously, how do moms do that?).

I was so excited when she gave it to me and immediately knew that I wanted to turn it into a quilt.

Then it sat.

And sat.

Waiting for some vintage fabric friends to come along.
I finally had a good excuse to go fabric shopping last September when I received an Etsy gift card for my birthday (from my mom, of course!). I found the green print first - isn't it the perfect '70s Christmas print? Then the red one came along (it was just a little piece, so it's just going to be found here and there on the quilt top). I'm not sure of its age, but it seemed to be about the right era.

After that I stalled. There really aren't that many vintage Christmas flannels out there you know. And modern flannels just aren't the right shade of '70s green.

Finally I found that striped print. It's probably more '80s and early '90s, but I like the colors and I'm not set on making a perfect, era-correct quilt. Just something warm and snuggly... and a little bit kitschy.

I think I'm on the right track.

Now, if only I could stop getting sidetracked by other (more pressing) projects. Then I could finish it well in time for next Christmas!




4 comments:

  1. Super cute kitsch prints! It'll be so snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they so fun? I'm glad you like them... And you're right, they'll be perfect for snuggling! xoxo

      Delete
  2. These are totally working together. That is a great green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think they play nice together! I love that green, too. You just don't see it used much anymore, but it's pretty common in vintage fabrics. xoxo

      Delete