Friday, January 10, 2014

In progress: A messenger bag for Miss C.

When Miss C. was a toddler, she nearly always had two things in her hand: My Bear (yes, that was his name) and her "diapee bag", which was filled to overflowing with clothes, diapers and other goodies for her babies.

My Bear and her diapee bag went everywhere we went: in the car, restaurants, the grocery store... everywhere. Because, you know, what if he needed to have his diaper changed while we ate dinner (that happened a lot!) or needed a new outfit on the ride to Ama and Papa's house (sometimes two or three outfit changes)?

And don't even think about leaving one or both behind at home. She needed them. So in the car they went.

Fast forward a few years: she hasn't carried that little handmade diaper bag in quite some time and has other favorite stuffed animals now. But she still likes to carry a bag of her special things wherever we go: on the way to school, out to dinner... you get the picture.

Now her bag is filled with pencils, notepads, word search books, and of course, her favorite stuffed animals. And though she has graduated to big girl interests, she doesn't have a good bag to carry everything in. 

After several months of paper grocery bags and gift bags it was time to put my foot down: Miss C. needed a new mama-made bag.

Of course, the minute I mentioned it she was ready to start cracking the whip! A quick rummage through my fabric cupboard revealed the perfect stack of fabric: a fat quarter bundle of Hello Tokyo by Robert Kaufman that I had won not too long ago in a most generous giveaway from Fabric Fusion and Rita of Red Pepper Quilts. I had been saving it for a special project for one of my girls, but just hadn't figured out what that would be yet... until now!

After picking the fabric, we sat down together to design the bag. It would be a messenger-style bag, quilted inside and out, with a front flap and long cross-body style strap. There would need to be a place for her pencils and erasers (I'm thinking zippy pencil bag for that). And, most importantly, there would need to be some side pockets for her babies (especially her current favorite, Squirrely). 

Every morning she pops over to my sewing table to check on my progress and every night she asks me if I'm going to work on it. The pressure I'm under here is intense! As you can see, I've finished the outer body, lined side pockets and front flap. I still have quite a bit left but I've made good progress.

Thankfully, there's another A Lovely Year of Finishes already underway (hosted by Fiber of All Sorts and Sew Bitter Sweet Designs) so I've decided to make finishing this bag my January goal. It's been a lot of fun to make so far, which I can honestly say is entirely due to the super-squeezy-cuteness of the fabric. Really, who wouldn't love it?

Whew! If you've read all of that, then you deserve a gold star. And a hug! xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the hug (and the gold star)!
    Wow, you certainly are "Super-mom"! I love the bag you made for Miss C. and all of her most essential tools of the trade. Your designs are always well thought out and the finished product looks crisp and cheerful. Miss C. will look very professional with her new carry all bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the whole thing! Hahaha!

      I wish I was Super-Mom!! I'm so glad you like how the bag is turning out. She's so excited about it and asks me every day how close I am to finishing it. Thank goodness my mom is coming over today with the buckle for the strap! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Have just finished perusing your last posts and find your work delightful. Love that quilt for the little boy and the other projects are so colorful...! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you've enjoyed my work and posts. I checked out your blog - your work is amazing! Count me as a new follower. :)

      Delete
  3. What a special project with designing and choosing fabrics together. It will be a special and tangible memory for her of these good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! It's been such a fun project to design together. I really enjoyed the design process with her. She's very thoughtful about details! xoxo

      Delete
  4. oh!!! its going to be just perfect. Those fabrics are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! It's almost finished and I'm so excited!!!

      Delete