Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A bright quilt for a little ray of sunshine

There's nothing like a new baby to wash away the blues. My new baby niece, Miss R., was born just a few short weeks ago and I'm completely smitten.

I haven't been able to see my little sweetie-pie niece in person, since Texas and California aren't exactly close neighbors but I've admired her chubby little cheeks from afar several times via Facetime and Skype. I wish I could be there to hold her, but have had to settle for the next best thing. Am I the only one who marvels at the fact that we can video chat? I can remember watching Pee Wee's Playhouse when I was a kid (the '80s were the best time to grow up!) and thinking, "I wish we could have a real Picturephone!" And now I do!

Okay, back to the quilt... I asked my mom to stuff Miss R.'s quilt into her suitcase (thanks, Mom!) and take it to her in person when my folks whisked off for a long visit to Texas to do what every grandparent does best: rocking the baby and spoiling the grandkids!

Miss R.'s quilt arrived safe and sound, and she looks just so sweet wrapped up in it. I love how the quilting turned out, even more so because all of those straight lines intersecting at the triangle points created a happy surprise on the back: stars! Look closely at the photo below and you can see them. Isn't that cool?

The quilt ended up being somewhere close to 52" square. I love the semi-scrappy look of the front. Most of the prints are leftovers from the Hello Tokyo bundle I won from Fabric Fusion and Rita of Red Pepper Quilts (thanks, ladies!). I also added the solids from my stash and lots of coordinating scrappy prints like the hearts, ladybugs, black-and-white overlapping dots and a bunch of others. The backing and binding were made using one of the Flowers prints from the Sweet Things collection by Lakehouse Dry Goods.

I had always wanted to make an equilateral triangle quilt, and now that I've done it I'm totally in love! I'll definitely make another one someday. The triangles quilt up so nicely and just look so beautiful when finished. I think Miss R. will love it for many, many years to come.

Little Miss C. decided to help me photograph the quilt. Just look at those cute little baby toes!


8 comments:

  1. I love the cheerful colors and patterns in the fabric! Congrats on the birth of your niece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a doll-faced baby. I so wish I could live closer to her and her sweet big sisters. Glad you love the quilt!

      Delete
  2. So bright and cheerful! I love those triangles too. The way you quilted them is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I think the surprising little stars in the quilting are what make this quilt so special.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS with all my heart!! little kokeshi girls!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best, aren't they? So glad to hear you love it!!! xoxo

      Delete