Sunday, July 6, 2014

Hiding out.

It's been the summer of bad news. Not terrible news, but bad enough that I've been hiding behind my sewing machine for the last few weeks after about a month of no sewing. Zero. Zip.

I certainly made up for lost time in the last several weeks, though. All that sewing time resulted in two quilt tops and two completed quilts sent to their new homes (one for my aunt and one for my new baby niece - my little ray of sunshine born just over a week ago). I'll be writing about each of these tops and finishes soon, I promise!

I needed that time at my machine and honestly, I didn't have much creativity left for writing. But I miss this place. I miss chatting with my buddies. And I miss being able to create a record of my creativity.

Since I'm so far behind, I'm just going to give you a sneaky peak at a quilt top I finished tonight. A very special relative recently found out that she has to have a major surgery in just a few short weeks (one of the pieces of bad news this summer), so I've been putting in a little overtime to get this one finished by the time she checks in to the hospital for surgery.

I had seen Incarnadine by RJR Fabrics on Fat Quarter Shop months ago and figured someday it would make the perfect quilt fabric for this special relative, since it is a perfect match for the colors and style of her living room. That "someday" came rushing forward when we found out that she'd be having surgery at the beginning of next month. It may be summertime and hot as blazes here, but I know hospitals are cold and after she gets home she'll be spending plenty of time recouperating on the couch in the coming months. I figured a cheery quilt might help keep her spirits up as she recovers.

I hopped online and headed straight for Fat Quarter Shop, snapping up three charm packs and a couple yards of American Made Brand in cream* so I could whip up this windowpane quilt top. My goal for July is to get it quilted and ready for binding (linking up with ALYOF). More on this quilt - and hopefully with better photos - in another post.


* Have you heard of American Made Brand solids yet? If you and I were sitting together right now I'd be talking loudly and gesturing wildly with my hands... I'm so excited about this stuff! I'm going to do a full post on this line of fabric soon. Stay tuned! 

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your relative, but what a thoughtful gesture this quilt is, and I absolutely love those florals. I don't know much about fabric lines at all, I just trawl fabric shops and sigh at all the loveliness, hoping one day to have a bit of everything in my stash. It's nice to know that there is a line of solids to rival Kona, there's nothing healthier than a bit of competition :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leanne. Seeing a close family member so ill has been tough. We're all hoping the surgery will fix everything and she'll be living a much healthier life going forward.

      I know what you mean about loving all of those wonderful fabrics. I do a lot of window shopping too, and any fabric buying usually happens using gift cards I've received for my birthday or Christmas. I'd love to have that same stash you hope for "someday", too. :)

      As to American Made Brand, so far I'm a convert. I love Kona, but I'm willing to switch my allegiance for a quality entirely American-made solid. I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up after the quilt is finished and washed for the first time.

      Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. First of all, I have to say how happy I am to hear from you again on the "Blogisphere". I missed you.
    And, as usual, you are a shining example of what we should all be focusing on; and that is doing what we can to be positive and to keep joy and hope in our lives and the lives of those we touch. I have no doubt that your special relative will heal more quickly because of your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, it really made my day! I wish I could say that I've done a great job every day of focusing on the positive, but some days were a huge struggle. I've been doing better lately, though, and blogging is helping. Thank you for your friendship and support! xoxo

      Delete
  3. The quilt is beautiful! I love it, and I'm sure she does too. You are amazing. Here's to better news for the rest of the summer. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! She hasn't seen it yet, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that she'll like it. It's very hard for me to keep things like this a secret, but I think the surprise will be worth it. I want her to have something special to take to the hospital. xoxo

      Delete
  4. i'm so sorry to hear about your rough time, and about your relative! breathe deep and know that you have bloggy friends who are thinking good thoughts and blowing them your way....:) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, you are such a sweetheart. Thank you for your thoughtful words. I really, truly appreciate them. xoxo

      Delete