Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A baby boy quilt under construction

Master W. is the only boy cousin in my entire extended family. My brother has three girls. Two of my cousins have several daughters each. And I have two girls. Right now, he's outnumbered 10 to 1!

As you can imagine, I haven't had many opportunities to make little boy quilts these past few years. In fact, I've only made two (Master W.'s traffic cone quilt and my Scrappy String quilt)! I've had a lot of fun making quilts for the new baby girls of the family, but have been waiting... waiting... waiting... for another boy to come along so I could finally make another baby boy quilt.

All that waiting is about to pay off because another one of my cousins is about to give birth to her first baby (she's actually in labor right now!)... a boy!!!

Hooray!

[Cue the fabric scrap confetti and crazy amounts of time at the sewing machine.]

Since I've been waiting so long to make a baby boy quilt, I've had more than a little time to dream up the design and fabric choices.

I decided to draw inspiration from the Arrow Tail quilt tutorial from Sing All You Want. I don't have a working printer, so I couldn't print out the template for cutting the diamonds. But I do have my Sidekick ruler, which makes the very same shape. Woot!
The fabric choice was a no-brainer. I've been saving all of the scraps from Master W.'s traffic cone quilt for this exact occasion, so I pulled out the bags that I'd set aside when I finished his quilt and started cutting.

I only hit one snag when putting this top together. There were only so many large scraps in those bags, so in order to make the quilt the size I wanted I had to add a strip of the traffic signs print to the top and bottom. It's actually grown on me quite a bit!
This is a stash purge of the best kind. (Have you heard about Rachel's purge-along that's going on right now? This post is my entry for this month's link-up.) I had a ton of transportation-theme scraps laying around that I wanted to use but simply couldn't. I love each and every print since I had carefully chosen each one for Master W.'s quilt, and was so incredibly excited to finally have a quilt to use them on again.

Of course, I didn't manage to use all of them up – I still have a bag full of small scraps left – so I need to start dreaming up another baby boy quilt for the next wee one!

As you can see, I've already sewn up the back and pin-basted the layers together. Now I need to get cracking on the quilting and binding since the wee one should be here very, very soon. Finishing up this quilt is my top priority this month, and is my goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes August goal setting party over at Fiber of All Sorts and Sew Bitter Sweet Designs.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a cute quilt! I love the way those colours work together.The hit of gray is perfectly placed to make all of the other prints work together so well.

    Double Wow!! You used only fabrics from your stash. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all left over from my little guy's quilt. I was pretty shocked by the bag if little scraps still left over. Two quilts with more left for another!

      I'm glad you like the gray, too. I had just enough to use it to break up the quilt a bit. It's nice to have something for the eye to rest on. xoxo

      Delete