Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cars, trucks and arrow tails

I can't wait to put this cheerful little quilt in the mail! My cousin gave birth to a gorgeous baby boy nearly two weeks ago and we're all just so excited to have another little guy in the family. 
Master W. finally has a boy cousin! The two of them are still badly outnumbered with 10 girl cousins, but there's always still time to add more boys to the clan. 
This was such a fun quilt to make. I drew inspiration from the Arrow Tail quilt tutorial from Sing All You Want. I don't have a working printer so I used my Sidekick ruler, which makes the very same shape. I used up every large scrap I had, so I felt a little stricken after I sewed all of the rows together only to discover that the quilt was not quite long enough. I like my quilts to be longer than they are wide (or at least square-shaped), and I just couldn't stomach the idea of the arrows all facing the wrong way if someone held it up... so I added a strip of fabric to the top and one to the bottom to make the quilt a square. Crisis averted! At 45 x 45", it will be perfect for snuggling well into the preschool years. 
I just adore little boy prints, but never seem to know anyone having baby boys. I finally got to use up a bunch of the scraps left over from Master W.'s Traffic Cone Quilt, and I still have plenty left for another quilt down the road. 
As an added bonus, I pieced the back with large scraps and a few bigger pieces from my stash that I was at a complete loss as to how I should use them. I was never quite sure what to do with those red, blue and green prints, but I think they look perfectly at home on this quilt back.  Hooray for purging! (Have you heard about Rachel's Purge Along? This is my entry for this week's link-up.)

You can also find this quilt linked up at:




6 comments:

  1. Very sweet boy baby quilt. The strip added to the top and bottom of the quilt finish it off perfectly, as though it had been planned that way. A happy quilt for a happy occasion.

    I also thought that the skirt in your last post looked super cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it at least seems to belong there... it's funny how sometimes our mistakes can turn into something wonderful! Thank you for your sweet compliment on my skirt - I love it and wear it all the time. It was a lot of fun to make and I really should start thinking of making one for winter too.

      Delete
  2. Your fabrics and designs are spot on. What a lucky little boy to get it! Visiting from Quilt Story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Tanya! I'm so glad to hear you like it.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous quilt for a baby boy!

    ReplyDelete