Saturday, August 16, 2014

For my mom-in-law.

We all breathed a huge sigh of relief when my mom-in-law came out of surgery nearly two weeks ago. The surgeon was quite pleased with the results and assured us that she'd make a full recovery. After less than a week in the hospital, she was ready to come home and is really starting to recover nicely. Hooray!
The kids were sick the day we were scheduled to visit before she went in for surgery, so I had to send the quilt via hubby post. She called me later to tell me that she loved it, and was excited to see that it is a perfect match for her living room decor.  I wish I could have been there to give it to her in person, but we really didn't want to pass on any viruses right before she went in for surgery. No use making her recovery any harder than it has to be, right?

Now that she's home recuperating, I've had a few chances to visit and I love seeing her quilt draped across the back of her couch. It's been a bit too warm to snuggle under it yet, but I know she loves it and will use it in the colder months.
I chose a lovely green arrow print from the designer section at JoAnn's and the green is a perfect match for the greens in the Incarnadine charms I used on the front. The cream fabric used in the sashing and borders is American Made Brand in cream, and boy do I love it! I am so excited to be able to support an entirely American-made line of fabric. The hand is quite nice, and the excellent quality reflects what I've come to expect from something made in America. 

The quilt is somewhere around 54"x70" in size (I think... now I wish I'd written that down!). The quilt design was based on the Jungle Lattice quilt over at Craft Buds. I followed Lindsay's directions for cutting the fabric and constructing the rows, but added addition rows of charms to increase the size from baby to lap and had to make some minor adjustments to get everything the proper size. It's a great pattern and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to dip their toes in the on-point waters. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be!

I'm especially pleased with how the quilting turned out. Who knew that straight lines could be so dramatic? 

8 comments:

  1. Really pretty, it definitely has that country cottage feel. Hope your mother-in-law recovers well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leanne. She's getting better every day. We are just so incredibly grateful that she came out of the surgery okay.

      Delete
  2. The straight line quilting looks great and it's very pretty! Wishing her a speedy recovery x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucy! She's doing so much better now. It's amazing how fast she is recovering.

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful quilt, and the on-point blocks, along with the diagonal stitching lines is indeed quite dramatic. I'm sure it will make your mother-in-laws recovery easier. I wish her well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Quilts really are my favorite get-well-soon gifts. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, Michelle. I know your mother-in-law feels so much better every time she sees it. I really love the quilting. It looks fantastic and you did such a great job with it.

    (Ummm- couldn't I qualify for a sister-aunt-best friend or something like that to receive a beautiful one too? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I love your comment - you are so sweet. I'm glad you love it. xoxo

      Delete