Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Nurturing Catholic culture in our home

Sometimes I think it's hard for adults to share our faith with friends and even family. We worry that we might offend or make someone feel uncomfortable. Heck, I've sat here at my computer for the last 10 minutes wondering how I should start this post.

Children, though, don't carry all of the worries and social filters that we do. They ask the tough questions without realizing how much they're making us squirm. They don't beat around the bush. And they aren't shy about sharing their faith and love for the Lord.
Watching Miss C. (and now Master W.) attend Catholic school these past few years has been an incredible experience for me. Intellectually, I understood the both the secular and spiritual value of a Catholic education. Heck, I attended Catholic school myself until we moved the summer before 6th grade, and eventually went on to graduate from a Catholic university. 

But it wasn't until my own children were attending Catholic school that I realized just how completely I had underestimated the true value of a Catholic education. Sure, we said prayers together at night and before meals. But in the last two years I've come to realize something about myself:

I've been running on a spiritual cruise-control for a looooong time. And it's time to get in gear.

So, here I am muddling along, trying to strengthen my own faith, teach my children about theirs, and create a home filled with Catholic culture. Here and there, I'll slip in a post about what we've been up to. I hope you enjoy a little peek into the Catholic side of my life.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and colourful rosary! I will be interested to learn more and see you explore your faith. Obviously it's important to you and I see no problem in you sharing your experience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucy! Miss C. made the rosary for her grandma before she went into surgery earlier this summer. The best part is that she came up with the idea all on her own!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Michelle.I don't know why it is so hard for us to talk about our beliefs but I guess we are afraid of what others will say. I was brought up Baptist. i went to other churches and learned a lot about different faiths, but I eventually came back to the Baptist church. We have new neighbors and they are Catholic so I would love to learn more about the beliefs of your faith. One thing I am sure of and that is we all believe in our Heavenly Father no matter what our different beliefs are, Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you're along for the ride, Joyce! You are right about us all being brothers and sisters in Christ. I hope you enjoy reading about our journey.

      Delete
  3. I loved your post! here's a funny anecdote (or 3) about your pagan little friend Melissa :) -- I went to Catholic school in Hawaii, mostly b/c it was one of the only private schools on the island and my folks were scared of the public school -- anyhoo, we weren't Catholic and oh how I wanted to be Catholic!!! One time I went up for communion at some assembly and the Brother in charge glared at me, he knew I wasn't Catholic. Also, I had a book about all the saints and I LOVED that book, I read it over and over. I wish I still had it! Also, I loved All Saints Day after Halloween b/c we got the day off from school, so I could stay home after Halloween and eat my candy. And those are my Catholic stories, I hope you enjoyed them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your story about the book of saints. There are some awesome stories about the lives of the saints out there, it's easy to see why children love them. Thanks for sharing your stories! I'm glad you have such fond memories of going to Catholic school (I do too) and it's neat to hear that you wanted to be a Catholic way back when!

      Delete